DIESEL SNIPER TRAIN HORN FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
GUESTS CAN POST FREELY IN THE GUEST LOBBY
GUYS REGISTER TODAY AND POST YOUR STUFF.

Tank Mounting Ideas

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
08fordsd350

08fordsd350

Tank Mounting Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty28/3/2010, 11:44 am

This next weekend we'll be headed up north to our house (more importantly my welder), so I will be making up a bracket to support my 11 gallon air tank.

I have an 08 F350 and will be mounting the tank on the inside of the driver's side frame rail. I don't want to drill or weld to the frame to attach the bracket - so any suggestions on how to securely attach the bracket?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Master Chief
Master Chief
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty28/3/2010, 3:39 pm

Wow,
Without drilling or welding, the only thing I can see is to use the existing holes in the rail. You might get lucky and have the right where you want them. But doubtfull. Zipp ties and duct tape my friend. LOL. My tank is just in front of the passanger side rear wheel mounted to the frame rail. I had to drill for mine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2920115
08fordsd350

08fordsd350

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty3/4/2010, 9:12 pm

Here's one for you:

I installed my 10+ gallon tank on the inside of my driver's side frame rail on my '08 F350. It's immediately behind the transfer case (~1/4" away).
I don't do any real off roading, but am worried about thermal growth on the transmission / transfer case causing the transfer case to contact the tank.
Any body have a feel / recommendation on how much clearance I should leave?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Master Chief
Master Chief
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty3/4/2010, 10:08 pm

You really think your transfer case will expand that much? I think you'll be ok. The 10 gallon won't grow any.
Back to top Go down
08fordsd350

08fordsd350

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty3/4/2010, 10:20 pm

The first attempt, I had the brass plug on the end of the tank a hair under 1/8" and after a fairly long drive (50 miles), I had a small dent in the plug from the transfer case pushing against it.

There's always the chance that the tank shifted, but I wouldn't think it would shift enough to dent a brass plug.

But, I agree, I think the +1/4" should be sufficient. With the length (31") of this tank that's about the best I can do.

So, what's it take to drum up some more activity on your forum? I do like the layout.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Master Chief
Master Chief
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty4/4/2010, 1:14 am

Thanks for the compliment on the layout,
You say you have a brass plug at that end of the tank? Good thinking on that. The brass will give if necessary.

As far as how to get more sctivity? I've been trying. Word of mouth, share the link maybe.
Just copy and paste it. Simple.
https://dieselsniper.forumotion.com/index.htm

I think too many guys are on THF. I'm a member of both. I try to offer just another place to share with others your knowledge. Or sometimes lack of. LOL
Back to top Go down
08fordsd350

08fordsd350

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty12/4/2010, 10:23 pm

So here's my 10" X 31", refurbished semi air tank (~ 11 gallons) installed on the inside of the driver's side frame rail.

Tank Mounting Ideas 11gallontank

I welded up some brackets that bolt to the frame rail and re-used the original hangers (threaded round stock) to hang the tank. The tank hangs down about 2-3" below the frame rail.

I'm using dual 400c compressors mounted in my tool box to fill the tank.

Tank Mounting Ideas Dual400cCompressors-Fans

I'm using two muffin fans to draw air through the box to help cool the compressors. The compressors and fans are controlled by the pressure switch via three relays.

I have a 1/2" line and solenoid valve supplying air to my everyday horn (single bell Buell).

Tank Mounting Ideas ExtairisolationSVfordailyhorn

Below the solenoid valve is another 1/2" ball valve that isolates the external air fitting.

The air fitting is located in a factory hole just below the front of the rear passenger's door (on driver's side).

Tank Mounting Ideas Extairconnector
Back to top Go down
08fordsd350

08fordsd350

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty12/4/2010, 10:31 pm

Here's my daily horn, which I mounted on an extended portion of the front tank bracket.

Tank Mounting Ideas DailyHorn

I went redneck and attached some hardware cloth (screen) to the front of the horn to keep the debris from the tires out of it. It's mounted behind the front driver's side tire, so hopefully the screen works. I've used the same screen to protect my trucks radiator / heat exchangers for 2.5 years and they are in near perfect condition.

If some idiot hadn't forgotten his Leslie RS3L at home when he went north to his shop, he would have fab'd the bracket for mounting it in place of the spare tire. Now I have to wait until after our unit outage to head back north to use my welder.

I'm using 5/8" air line and two solenoid valves to feed the Leslie. One solenoid valve is 3/8" with a metered ball valve inline with it. In parallel is a 1/2" solenoid valve. I'm using a 3-position pendant switch to control the valves. With the throttle valve at mid position I get a nice deep bellowing sound from the three bells. When I hit the 1/2" valve I get the Leslie in all of it's glory. Well that's how it worked when I bench tested it. Since then I found that my suspension travels more than I thought, so I will be rebuilding my dual solenoid set up again.

Hope these threads make sense and if you have any questions let me know.
Back to top Go down
08fordsd350

08fordsd350

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty12/4/2010, 10:48 pm

I originally had a ~2 gallon tank at about 120# feeding my Buell horn via a cheesy 1/4" solenoid. At the time it seemed loud, but nothing compared to it now with the 1/2" line / valve and 150#.

The old setup gave loose a seal fart when I double tapped the remote lock fob button, but now it sounds off like it should when given a short burst of air.

I'm not into scaring (though I love watching the vids), but the first trip to a public parking lot shocked a lot of people including to two poor bastards walking past my truck when I hit the lock button.

I think unintentional scares are some of the best. My condolenses to the two poor Rochester MN kids that have larger streaks in their pants and ringing in their ears.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Master Chief
Master Chief
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty19/4/2010, 12:12 pm

Looking Good man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank Mounting Ideas   Tank Mounting Ideas Empty

Back to top Go down

Tank Mounting Ideas
Page 1 of 1